Saturday, July 16, 2011

Filling Requests

One of my very favorite blogs of all time is Lila's blog; A Simplesmente Lila Braga. It is a constant source of beautiful images combined with thought provoking words and quotes. Sort of a blogging meditation. So it came as no surprise to me that Lila gave me a simple suggestion for blogging instead of a request. Simply blog about what you think is beautiful.
I know it was a more general piece of advice, but it got me to thinking. What is it that I long to say? What is it that I find so painfully gorgeous that I can't help but want to share?

I know the answer to this question.

What I find more beautiful than any tangible thing is the longings of the human heart. The things that we all feel deep inside of us, but cannot seem to convey. There are no words that can properly describe them. No way to fully emphasize their meaning. And, to be quite honest, I'm sure that we don't fully understand them ourselves. But they are alive inside of us.

They are wrapped up in feelings and emotions and deep seeded hopes and fears. They are the wishes that we have without even knowing what we are wishing for. And they can be brought to the surface of our hearts on so many different wings. The light filtering through trees. The scent of something long forgotten. The touch of someones hand. The sound of ocean waves.

The longings of the human heart. I have no way to pour them out to you. But I am sure that you know what they feel like. You have them, too. They are haunting and beautiful and magical and illusive. And even with all the words in the human language, they cannot be written down.

To me, there is something painfully beautiful about that.


*images here, here, here.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Beautifully true. And sometimes there is absolutely no way to put those into words...which is what makes them so magical......