Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Counting Pennies


Having several goals this year (which we will discuss eventually), money has been the topic on my mind lately. Particularly, saving more and spending less.

As you have probably already figured out, I am not a big spender, but I still have room for improvement. The hubby is much more free with his cash flow and needs to be reminded often of how quickly it disappears. So, I thought now would be the perfect time to start a little weekly post on money matters. I'll share a few little thoughts and tips for saving money and hope that we all save a few more pennies in the process.

I am going to start this series off with a new rule. This came to me yesterday while using a gift card that I received for Christmas. While shopping in one of my favorite stores, I realized that I am always drawn to the same things, over and over. There are those few things that seem to appeal to me whether I am in need of them or not. I know my weaknesses. { *fingernail polish *blankets *pajama pants *shoes *paper products *makeup.} And I bet I'm not the only one. Do you have a weakness for certain things? So what do we do when we come across yet another great deal on the softest, cuddliest pair of pajama pants (or whatever your vice is) ever? We start counting, that's what.

New Rule for 2012: When the urge hits to buy something new, I will stop and count how many of said items I already have at home.

So, let's say that the pj's were the item of question. Upon the initial "oooh. what pretty colors. i love the plaid flannel!"....... I would follow up with "I already have two pairs of flannel, two pairs of fleece, one pair of cotton (three of which happen to be plaid)". Obviously, I am not in need of another pair of pajama pants. See how that works? I'm going to be doing a whole lot more counting in the future.

Will you try this tip? Let me know what you think. Let's save some $$$!!!


* photo from here.

1 comment:

annelise said...

Eugh, money. Money can suck it. I tend to buy a lot of books but do it via the internet. It's like I've somehow tricked my brain that because I'm not engaging in the physical act of handing over cash, then it's not real money. I mean, the books are cheap, not any more than $15 each, but still. It's a bad habit. I really should use the library more - but then how will I ever amass enough books to replicate one of those bookshelves/home libraries on Pinterest?!

I am definitely with you on this penny pinching mission.