Tuesday, October 6, 2009

S.O.S.

People! We have a crisis on our hands. A very serious matter! Have you heard about the latest string of magazines to go out of print!?! I am starting to panic.

For as long as I can remember I have been obsessed, addicted to and enamoured by magazines. They are my escape from reality. My source for ideas and inspiration. They are what I look forward to in my mailbox, amidst the bills and junk mail. They are my comfort, my downtime routine, my ever flowing wellspring of random knowledge. And the best thing about magazines is the fact that I can carry them around with me. I can keep them for as long as I like. I can cut pictures and articles out of them and put them in my collection of folders and collages. They are tangible. Real. Literal. Glossy, for heaven sake. They are happiness in print form! I love them.

The internet is great. Blogs are great. You know I love them. But nothing, no nothing could ever take the place of magazines. And it seems like they are being shot down left and right. What is the future of print, people? What is going to happen? I am very sad about this. I know that you can't stop progress, and you shouldn't. But some things should always be. Some things are such a huge part of who we are as a culture. As people. Some things should remain the same.

Magazines should never die. Long live print!

*the pic above is from Domino, one of the fallen.

1 comment:

E said...

Oh miss, I know exactly what you mean!! For years, magazines have been my obsession until earlier this year when I had to curtail my expensive addiction, especially when I could see everything in the pages on the internet and not a week later when the magazine was published.

Just a month or so ago, I inherited a massive stack of magazines - I've been meaning to take a photo of it and do a post because the pile is huge.

I can't imagine a world without magazines - or books for that matter, what with everything being electronic. I don't know how people read "books" on those weird handheld things. No. It's all about a spine that has no marks, the smell of a new book, and the pure pleasure of making yourself comfortable to lose yourself in the pages.